Friday, March 30, 2012

The Music of Our Family

I was washing dishes one evening last week and Patrick was playing with the girls.  After a bit, he got his guitar out and started entertaining his little fan club!  


I was so glad to have captured this on video - oh, and Patrick would probably appreciate the disclaimer that he is actually a drummer and that he has been teaching himself how to play guitar on and off for the past couple of years - disclaimer, schmisclaimer, I think he's fantastic!!




So, as I was watching the girls dancing to their Daddy's music, I started thinking about how uninhibited they are right now in the way they respond to the music. 


Then I started to pray, to hope in a very deep part of me that they will always love the music of our family.  I want them to always just enjoy being in the presence of their Mom and Dad and of each other.  I pray that we will do our very best to love and respect them and to develop these relationships in such a way that we can dance together for always. 


As I type this out, I realize that this may sound idealistic.  I know that kids naturally go through phases where their friends are more important to them than their family.  I am sure that our girls will be embarrassed by us, have bad arguments with us, and rebel against us at one time or another, and we'll work through that with God's help.  What I am hoping for is a depth of love and character that will surround who we are as a family that we will dance to one another's music without holding back.  


Oh, Lord, give us the grace, patience, compassion, and joy that it will take in the years to come to maintain a solid family.  Let this music of our family be what binds us together in You forever.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Janet. Have you ever read any of Sally Clarkson's books? The things you say sound just like the ideals she presents. Mission of Motherhood is a great read. Sweet video! Abigial loved watching it with me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, wow, Lisa, thanks! I haven't read anything of hers. I will have to check that out. Glad you guys were able to watch together, congratulations again on a new little pink one coming soon!!

    ReplyDelete